MONKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nailers helles

2 posters

Go down

Nailers helles Empty Nailers helles

Post  Funkmaster Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:27 am

Mr nailer, sir, me and the cellar master would love to brew up a Munich helles, haven't really wrote a recipe yet, wondering if you could shed some light into how you brew yours. Were still new to the lager thing, but we thought yours was dope!
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

https://monksbrewclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Nailers helles Empty My pleasure

Post  nailer Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Here are some of the notes from the one you tasted. The absolute key in IMHO is getting this down to 1008 or so. I had one end at 1012 at it just wasnt as good. I also have been doing a rest at 130 and then mash at 150. They big key though is a shit-ton of yeast Smile

9.5 lbs pilsner malt
.5 lb munich malt

notes from memory day before, maybe slightly off

doughed in 3.5 gallons at 145 for protein rest, temp was 130.
rested 20 mins
drained off 2 gallons and added 1.8 gals, heated to 158 and mashed, temp was 142 so I heated some more and put in temp now 150
mashed 1 hour due to storm
drained off 3.5 gals
added 4 gals of 160, rested for 10 and drained
had 7.8 gallons of 1025 wort at 140deg.
started 90 minute boil

added .6 oz of magnum at 60
added whirlfloc at 20
cooled with IC and had massive cold break
got 4.6 gals of 10.48 wort. left @1 gallon in keggle with cold break

chilled to about 72 and threw in fridge
pitched .5lb of liquid cane sugar
3 hours later went down and pitched 1 quart of 2308 which had been stepped up 3 times, 1 quart of 1040 each time,
and run on a stir plate for 4 days, should be a ton of yeast.

nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Nailers helles Empty Re: Nailers helles

Post  Funkmaster Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:29 am

Thanks man, yea we're planning on 3.5 liter starter on a stir plate. I was wondering though, you added liquid sugar to the beer right before yeast, not during the boil? Any reason for that particularly?

Also have you ever played with melanoiden malt? I got some at the shop, thinkin bout tryin some at the recommendation of jamils book

Also given the wyeast private series Munich lager II a shot on this one, we'll see what happens!

Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 am

I must have just inserted that line into the wrong spot. When I add sugar for dryness I almost always add it to the primary after a couple days of rocking fermentation. My thinking is that I want to have the most yeast available and just when some are thinking they might floc out and crash I give them the easy sucrose fix and they get a second wind and chew on that and then the maltose again.

If I were doing a barleywine or anything with say over 2lbs of sugar I would add to the boil.

I didn't know they had a private series munich lager...I'm going to have to check the stats on that! As soon as I read that I immediately thought split batch!

nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  Funkmaster Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Yea let me know if you want some of the yeast I'll culture ya up a bit to try. Were thinkin of gettin distilled water and building it up with salts to get the right profile
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Fri May 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Just tapped a new keg of this stuff last night and holy guacamole is it good. I may have to find a comp to send some in to. That is if I don't filter it all though my liver first clown
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum