MONKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wonderings

4 posters

Go down

Wonderings Empty Wonderings

Post  Goggles Thu May 17, 2012 9:18 pm

So, I brought the two maple beers I did to the meeting, thinking one was good and the other was bad. It turns out that the bad one ended up ok and the "good" one... not so much. I'm tasting them now, wondering what might have gone wrong with them. They both have the same kind of bitter finish. Since I usually start thinking more clearly after I've built up a case of empties next to me, it downed on me that it could be fusel alcohol from the more refined maple that I added. I mean, there was a lot of maple in the porter, plus they were both primed with maple.

One big variable that might be giving it the off flavor is how much I carbonated it. I calculated it for about 2.8-3.0 (A little under 1/3 cup for 5 gallons). Would that be enough to get it to taste like bad moonshine?

Speaking of, I'm now entertaining the idea of running them both through my friend's still to see if something can be made out of 'em.
Goggles
Goggles

Back to top Go down

Wonderings Empty Re: Wonderings

Post  nailer Thu May 17, 2012 10:29 pm

I seriously doubt that the sugar had anything to with it, it takes quite alot to make moonshine flavors! However, carbonation levels CAN drastically affect the harshness of a beer. Try popping one ope nae pour back and forth between glasses a couple times to knock the carbonation down and see if it tastes better. I usually shoot on the low side for anything with roasted malts to fight that acidity.
Another thing you can try is warm it up to room temp and taste it. Cold can mask flaws that are readily apparent when warm. Thats why certain folks drink beer as cold as the rockies Evil or Very Mad
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  Funkmaster Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 pm

That's a good call nailer, I didn't even think of that at the meeting. Over carbonation also can make a beer seem thin, which if i remember right was also an issue with the porter. I wouldn't have thought of pouring it back and forth to kill the carb, but I think that's a great idea

For what it's worth: I do know if you ferment certain sugars (like molasses) they can leave a rather harsh aftertaste once all the sugar is gone. I've never really played with maple, so I'm not sure if that's what it is, but i don't think it's fusels. I do know if you have a bunch of Fidel alcohols they give you a mean hangover
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

https://monksbrewclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazooka Fri May 18, 2012 9:26 am

For what its worth: the more refined a complex carbohydrate is, the more likely you will have an off flavor due to degredation.

Refined means a process usually for a cosmetic effect: bleaching sugar so it looks white, caking and milling to a certain granularity (which means an additive), etc. It's these "extra" byproducts that can lead to unintended off flavors.
Bazooka
Bazooka

Back to top Go down

Wonderings Empty Hmmmmm

Post  Goggles Fri May 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Interesting. I've usually been drinking them warm, but I'll try de-carbonating it tonight. I did shoot pretty high and it foams up like a coke, so I'll see what happens to it.
Goggles
Goggles

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Thu May 31, 2012 7:44 pm

This has been bugging me ever since I first read it. You must be purged of your heatheness! Twisted Evil

"I've usually been drinking them warm..."
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  Funkmaster Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 pm

That's also interesting. In my experience beers seem to foam more, and come off as being more carbed the warmer I drink them. This happen to anyone else? I had a belgian blonde that would just explode if it wasn't ice cold
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

https://monksbrewclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 am

The colder a liquid is the more gas it will hold before bubbling out, and the warmer it is the easier it will gas off. I think that is what you are seeing. One of the bene's of a "frosty mug" is the bartender doesn't have to deal with as much foam since the glass is colder than the beer.
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum