MONKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group grain buy

+2
cellah mastah
brewdude
6 posters

Go down

Group grain buy Empty Group grain buy

Post  brewdude Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Ok everyone I will email the catalog for the bulk grain so everyone can look at pricing keep in mind there is a 75 shipping fee per pallet as we discussed

I'm going down to brewtopia to talk with Zach to get his pricing offer but I'm not sure he will come close to these. But I will post his offer for everyone to consider.

As far as milling grain I have a mill and with a little notice will mill grain for anyone that wants it I know Howe has one as does Kevin. We could even do a drop like drop a bucket off on your way to work I will mill and put back put for you type of thing or whatever.

These are the grains I am interested in. We don't have to buy these but if there is enough interest on some of the partial bags when it comes we can divvy it up. I store my grain in Home Depot homer buckets unground for up to a year. Lets all get a list together and then we can decide when to order. I'd like to get the money up front cause I will pay up front.

2 bags Maris otter
2 bags Pilsen
1 bag 2 row
1 bag wheat
10 crystal 60
3 lbs of crystal 120
3 lbs black patent
3 lbs crystal 40
1 bag Munich
3 lbs carapils
3 lbs of Vienna
5 lbs brown malt
10 chocolate malt
10 lbs pale chocolate
10 lbs of flaked barley
3 lbs rye
1 bag 6 row

I will post a hops buy thread next

Talk soon
brewdude
brewdude

Back to top Go down

Group grain buy Empty Group grain buy

Post  cellah mastah Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I have anough base grain for the moment but will be interested in buying in for some c malts and specialty malts.HB Very Happy

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Group grain buy Empty Re: Group grain buy

Post  nailer Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:11 am

I would say I am down for at least:

2 sacks of pilsner
2 sacks marris otter
1 sack 2 row
10 lbs crystal 40
10 lbs munich
5lbs pale choc

wouldnt mind:
15lbs 6 row
3lbs variuos other stuff
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  brewdude Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Fellow Monkies,

Sent an email with the latest North country catalog for grain. Looks like plain canada malting 2 row is running like 30 for a 55 lb bag.

I spoke with coop at Brewtopia he is at 50 per bag. Doesn't sound like he wants to do a pallet he wants to order by the bag from Crosby Baker.

Shipping for a pallet is 80.00 plus fuel surcharge. If we get even 20 bags we are at 34.00 per bag for the cheap 2 row that is going to be a tough price for anyone to come close to. My vote is if we have enough interesr lets do a group buy ourselves.

Another thing they have is PBW 30.00 for 8 lbs thats lik 3.00 a pound that is like 1/3 of the going price.

I will post this same info on the forum - we should pick an order by date - and get her done.

One last thought I wonder if elm city would sell grain to us - I don't know anyone there enough to ask but if someone does that might be another option.

Let me know what you all think!

Darren
brewdude
brewdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellis0811 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 am

Hey Darren, I know I'm at least in for 2 bags of 2-row. Possibly some other specailty malts too. Also, didn't see any maris otter. is there anything close to it on the list? When do you need our final list by? Also, when would you need the money by? Thanks!
Ellis0811
Ellis0811

Back to top Go down

Post  Funkmaster Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 am

I used to get Maris otter from bairds malting, I didn't really look at what brew dude posted (my bad) but I assume its the same catalogue. We used to get Thomas-fawcett but were unhappy with the new crop so switched and never looked back. I've gone over the whole thing a million times so any other questions feel free to ask me.

On a side note, they do hops as well, but We would be way better off using hops direct. More varieties and much better size options.

Happy brewing!
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

https://monksbrewclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellis0811 Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:51 pm

hey guys, any word on this? I'm bone dry on grains and would love to get some. What a Face do we have a date yet that we're going to purchase this on? thanks fellas!
Ellis0811
Ellis0811

Back to top Go down

Post  brewdude Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 pm

I'm going to get a clarification on shipping from them I figured I'd order after the next meeting but we I can be ready to go in about a week once I order it takes like a day from New York sorry I've even away work has been hectic

Bd
brewdude
brewdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellis0811 Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:10 pm

not a problem darren. i know we all have busy lives. if only we could get paid to brew. things would be much easier! see you in dec.
Ellis0811
Ellis0811

Back to top Go down

Post  ski & Brew Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Being an extract brewer, I will get in on some of the specialty grains but I will not need any volume of pale malt.

ski & Brew

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Soooooo, I talked with Zach yesterday about the brew kits and we are going to start that up on Friday when he gets inventory in. Kevin graciously agreed to head up this project for us and I told him several people have vowed to help him where needed. After that we discussed the bulk grain purchase. He understands what prices we are looking at from North Country and he wants to work with us on price so he doesn't lose the business. I told him I would send him a list of what we were looking to purchase and he will put some numbers to it. He also had mentioned perhaps doing a discount for club members on bulk grain. For instance, when you want a sack you go in and get 15% off and don't have to store it and/or lay out all the cash at once.
We both agreed that we have a vested interest in seeing each other succeed, his customers are a target audience for us to get new members (or patrons if we host an event), and we pretty much can make customers for him by teaching/demonstrating brewing.
I will get a preliminary list to him today and send his reply via email when he responds and we can hopefully finalize everything, I am almost out of grain!!!!! Embarassed

Any thoughts/comments/questions/insults? Very Happy
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  brewdude Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:11 pm

I want to discuss this tomorrow. I don't want to do thid on a public forum. I am frustrated by this whole thing! The price and the story changes daily.

I will probably be purchasing grain next week - anyone that wants in can split the shipping cost per bag with me. Anyone that wants to deal with Zack can do that to - no hard feeling.

Bring a list of what you want and we can either collect money when I get a firm quote or we can guestimate based on approx shipping.

Do whatever is right for you.
brewdude
brewdude

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Sure, where/when do you want to meet?

nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  brewdude Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Sorry I meant next meeting had my weeks mixed up.

brewdude
brewdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum