MONKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Chocolate Stout

2 posters

Go down

The Chocolate Stout Empty The Chocolate Stout

Post  Goggles Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:09 pm

AJ, I've been thinking about that chocolate stout ever since the brew day. It had cocoa powder, candy sugar, and lactose in it and had a HUGE head. Could I get the recipe for that thing?
Goggles
Goggles

Back to top Go down

The Chocolate Stout Empty Re: The Chocolate Stout

Post  Funkmaster Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:30 pm

I have the recipe, though my notes are a little off haha, but I remember brewing it. I did a 3 gallon batch so if you want to do 5 you'll have to scale it up. Also, if you need it converted to extract I could do that easy enough.

OG: 1.069
FG: 1.018
36 SRM
30 IBU

6 lbs Maris Otter
.25 lbs Carafa II
.25 Chocolate Malt
2 oz Black Patent
1 oz Roasted Barley

1 oz Styrian Goldings Boil 60 min

.5 lbs Lactose
.5 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lbs D2 Dark Candy sugar
8 oz Hersheys bakers Cocoa

Now the yeast i used was a Wyeast Private Collection, 1581 Belgian Stout, they have discontinued it for the year, but Im harvesting up some from bottle dregs so if you would like some just let me know I'll get ya a cake.

Fermentation was kinda hot, as i didnt have control of the temp, if i remember it was between 70-80F the whole time.

I also carbonated it like a belgian, giving it that huge head, I think i used 2.5-3 oz of priming sugar for the 3 gallon batch, which also made it take an extra week or so to carb correctly.

If you got any more questions just shoot em out, this is by far my favorite belgian I've done to date, and I'll be brewing up another round of it coming very soon
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

https://monksbrewclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down