MONKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

whats brewing

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

whats brewing - Page 2 Empty RE: whats brewing

Post  cellah mastah Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:33 pm

hey funkmaster,no I have two right now.I have a freind who wants learn to brew I thought biab would be a good way to go if he allready had a turkey fryer.so thats what i,m doing now is brewing a rye wheat 3g.batch biab, before I teach him.I just wasn,t sure if 5 g. would work.I up date my brew day when I,m right I gota add my 30 min.thanksHB. bounce

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Post  cellah mastah Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm

What the heck was I trying to say in my last post can't even read it my self.I was in brewing mode, I shoudn't have been on the computer while brewing.Anyway biab is the bomb,I ended up with 4g. in the fermenter. took 4 hrs. from mash in to clean up.OG>1.046 should have been 1.052 if I boiled to 3g. I would have hit it. My efficiency was 82% I get 65% with my mash tun rig.I used 6.66 pounds of grain.So I think I could go 8 pounds max.to do a 5 g.if I had to.It would be a full pot but can be done.HB. bounce

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

whats brewing - Page 2 Empty Re: whats brewing

Post  Funkmaster Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:24 am

wow your first post had me all sorts of confused! haha. makes sense now, i gotta try a biab some day. cant wait to see it get done at BBIII. finally getting some time off so me and the old man can fire up that lectric a bunch coming up. gonna start brewing up some of the bigger brews for this years NHC.

Update on the bock : still fermenting away in the fridge. 2-3 more weeks she'll be getting kegged up and start sitting for lagering! hope your lagers still goin solid HB! Laughing
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

https://monksbrewclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

whats brewing - Page 2 Empty RE:whats brewing

Post  cellah mastah Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Lager update, checked gravity today is at 1.020 so going to start D-rest and bottle on sunday. THAT IS IF i HIT FG. of 1.012 Then I'll put back in the frig. at low temp. to lager. Question: How long (or better yet how short)of a time do need to keep in frig? Can I lager in frig. for 4 weeks then store in celler? [/list]9-16-12 brew day
9-19-12 fermentation started.
9-24-12 checked G.1.037
9-28-12 G.1.020 started D-res
expected FG.1.012
HB> cheers

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellis0811 Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 pm

good luck with the rye howie, hope it turns out better than mine! brewed a Kern River Citra DIPA last night. besides the boil over, hot wort pouring all over my foot AND my wort chiller leaking tap water into my wort until i realized it 10 minutes later it was a pretty good night. fingers crossed this son of a bitch isn't infected!!! hope everyone else has a smoother brew day this weekend! cheers!
Ellis0811
Ellis0811

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 pm

dayam man, sorry to hear the bad brew day. Hopefully you get all the bad vibes out in on shot!

HB, the best advice I can give you is DON"T RUSH IT! Wait until you think it's done with the d-rest and then let it sit another 4 days. Even if the gravity gets where you want, the yeaties still have stuff to clen up after the sugar is gone. If you chill to soon, all those compounds will be left in the beer. You are better going longer on the ferment and less on the lager. I start tasting my lagers two after kegging, you will notice how they clean up. The aftertaste disappears and they become smooth with a capital smoo......Is this the helles recipe you are doing?

On a side note, we welcomed our first grandchild today! Madelynn Grace! Mom and baby are perfect! I need to brew a beer that we can share in 21 years!
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  cellah mastah Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Congrats granpa nailer Laughing

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellis0811 Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Congrats Nailer! Very Happy
Ellis0811
Ellis0811

Back to top Go down

Post  Funkmaster Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:34 am

I'll raise a beer to that nailer! That's awesome!

HB, you might have to do some stuff differently than us if you're bottle conditioning the lager. After you prime and bottle, I believe you store the bottles at room temp until the carbonate fully, and then you start the lager process. If you go right from bottling day to fridge your yeast will go dormant and you'll have a whole bunch of flat beer.

Anyone with experience please correct me if that statement is false. I've never bottled conditioned a lager, an don't plan too anytime soon Mad
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cellah mastah Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks funkmaster that was a question I had. I don't think I want to keep them out for two weeks before lagering.It seems like there would be a lot of settlement on the bottom of the bottles. I think I'll rack to secondary and lager and worry later what to do.I'll allso put in frig. at 50 deg.and turn down temp.a little at a time till I hit 34 deg.Thanks Nailer for the advice on D-rest I'll let it ride a couple more days. I'm being patient with this one, thanks everyone for the help.HB. bounce

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Post  Funkmaster Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Sounds good dude, if you rack over and lager, you may have to pitch some yeast back at bottle time. If this is the case, you only have to pitch a small amount, and you can use dry yeast cause it shouldn't make any flavor changes
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

whats brewing - Page 2 Empty RE; whats brewing

Post  cellah mastah Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:42 am

Vienna lager is down to 1.012 going to let sit a couple more days and rack to secondary.My biab rye wheat I brewed thur. fri. had good fermetation sat.all stop I was like what the hecks going on here.I thought it was stuck,my lager has more activity.today I took a gravity reading it's at 1.015 that was cool to see thought it was going to be .030 or something like that. will let sit for rest of week. this is good weather for brewing who else is brewing out there?HB. bounce

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellis0811 Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Howie, i can't wait to try that lager. you best bring one to a meeting when it's ready!
bottled a gluten free pumpkin on friday and going to bottle the no-sparge, 2 row/citra SMASH tomorow.
happy brewing everyone! pirat
Ellis0811
Ellis0811

Back to top Go down

whats brewing - Page 2 Empty whats breing

Post  cellah mastah Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Just racked the lager to secondary,it's now in the frig.I don't know how I'm going to package it when it is done. I'll definitly bring one to brew meeting.right now i'm sanitizing a bottle for the yeast cake I'll save for another batch.Hey Ellis glad your gluten free pumpkin ale is coming along well, your friend will injoy it I'm sure.HB. Very Happy

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Post  nailer Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks gentlemen!

I stopped by the shop today and was shocked by the news! I am always the last to know Embarassed .

Cellah, your bulk grain is in and ready to be picked up.

Also, Funkmaster, I had the kolsch bottles for the comp but seeing as how they need to be in by the 6th perhaps it's best if we just forgo this one? I got sidetracked last week with the baby and all and didn't drop off when I wanted....Do you concur?
nailer
nailer

Back to top Go down

Post  Funkmaster Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 am

We can either skip it, or if you think you can get em packed up and shipped out go for it! The paper work is really easy going, and feel free to call my cell number if you were to need any help. It's been a long week on my end, still trying to sort everything out you know, sorry bro.
Funkmaster
Funkmaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

whats brewing - Page 2 Empty RE:whats brewing

Post  cellah mastah Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks nailer picked up a sack of 2-row.Think I'll go brew some beer bounce

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

whats brewing - Page 2 Empty whats brewing

Post  cellah mastah Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Hey Mr. celler hows that brew rig of yours working?HB.

cellah mastah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2